Dementia can take away some of our best memories, and as a friend or family member, it is extremely hard to watch someone you love go through that. However, making a Memory Box can help evoke the memories of people and events from their past, triggering a reminiscent conversation with a loved one.
A Memory Box can contain anything that has sentiment so this could be a picture, old perfume, or even a toy from their childhood. It is important when creating a memory box you take time deciding which items to choose as some will have a far more positive affect than others.
Now here are 5 reasons from ‘alzheimers.net’ as to why you should create a Memory Box for your loved one.
- Exercise, touch and other senses used in the creation of a memory box will become more important for a loved one to rely on as Alzheimer’s progresses.
- Fond memories of a senior’s history, personal interests and youth can be explored.
- Memory boxes can inspire conversation with caregivers, children or grandchildren.
- More insight into your loved one and their past will be gained. When you search for keepsakes to include in a memory box, you may find special items you did not realize the senior still had or was interested in.
- Spurred creativity from the creation of a memory box. The senior may be inspired to create another box about a different life event or memory.
Have you been inspired to create a Memory box? If you are struggling to decide what to put in it, here are some ideas!
- Newspaper clippings
- Old family photo
- A Letter
- Special jewelry
- Holiday mementos
- Drawings from children/grandchildren
- Dried flowers
- Christmas cards
- Certificate or medal from past achievements
- Favourite piece of clothing
Make sure you are there when your loved one opens their memory box, and ask them to tell you what memory each item brings. Not only does this allow you to engage with them by reminiscing but it may also evoke a memory you never knew about.
Have you created a memory box? Let us know what you have/ wish to include in your memory box for your loved one!