Finding ways to spend time with your loved one when they have dementia can be difficult, as we often don’t know how they will react to what we plan. However a lot of the time these Activities require a trial and error process before you rediscover your favourite activity to do together.
So if you are struggling with inspiration on what to do with your loved one, here are ten ideas on how you can spend the day with them.
- Play music to sing along to
- Work on puzzles.
- Reread their old favourite book
- Do arts and crafts, such as painting or knitting. Keep tools and patterns simple.
- Watch old home movies
- Clean around the house. Sweep the patio, wipe the table, fold towels or try other household tasks that help the person feel a sense of accomplishment.
- Reorganise house, especially if the person used to take pleasure in organisational tasks.
- Visit a botanical garden.
- Read the newspaper.
- Cook or bake simple recipes together.